German company Deutz AG (pronounced "Deutz") is the oldest manufacturer of various types of engines, ranging from a few to several thousand kilowatts, both air-cooled and liquid-cooled. Engines produced by this company are used in trucks and buses, as well as agricultural machinery and marine transport.
Foundation date Deutz AG March 31, 1864 is generally considered to be the year Nikolaus Otto founded the world's first engine building company. "NA Otto & Cie". Then it was just a small workshop. Otto planned to produce engines of his own design, marked with a gold medal. The businessman and engineer Eugen Langen (Eugen Langen) entered the share.
The rapid development of technology leads to the rapid development of the company. One workshop is already catastrophically lacking, and expansion of production is required. And, thanks to the financial injection of the merchant Rosen-Runge, a new plant was built. The company has changed its name to Langen, Otto & Roosen. It happened in 1869.
Young, but already managed to attract attention, the company at first repeatedly changed its name. In 1872 it became known as Gasmotoren-Fabrik Deutz AG. Its history is connected with such famous (if not legendary) people as Gottlieb Daimler, Wilhelm Maybach, Prosper L´Orange and Ettore Bugatti. All of them, to one degree or another, have contributed to the development of Deutz AG - for example, Daimler from 1872 to 1882 served as technical director. To this list, you can add Robert Bosch (Robert Bosh), who founded his famous company for the production of magneto, based on the scheme patented by Otto.
The company is developing steadily. By 1914 - the 50th anniversary - the number of employees is already several thousand, and the assortment is very diverse.
In 1938 the name was changed again. This time on Klockner-Humboldt-Deutz AG (KHD).
World War II changes all plans. The company is switching to the production of military products, including engines needed by the front. After the end of the war, the KHD factories lie in ruins. However, despite such a deplorable state, it is quite quickly possible to return to the usual rhythm of work.
The following years are years of development. The assortment is expanding, the number of workers is growing, competitors are being absorbed. In 1964 (the 100th anniversary), a logo was adopted that is still used today: a stylized letter "M" - a symbol Magirus Deutz, a subsidiary (acquired in 1938) that produced trucks and buses with air-cooled diesel engines. In 1974 Magirus Deutz moved to the holding IVECO and is now called IVECO Magirus.
1997 is notable for the fact that the company once again changes its name. And it looks like it's for good this time. Since then it has been called Deutz AG.
Now Deutz AG is already a large concern, which owns many subsidiaries. The headquarters of this state is located in Cologne, Germany (Köln, Germany).