The cars of this British manufacturer seem to have been pulled out of the beginning of the 20th century, having only been slightly “tweaked” so that they correspond to the realities of our time. This is a real find for connoisseurs of retro style and haters of too modern technologies. Needless to say, even the bodies of these sports cars are still assembled by hand from wood - a delightful anachronism! To date Morgan Motor Company - the only company operating in this style.
Probably the priest of a small parish of the English city of Stoke Lacy from the county of Herefordshire (Stoke Lacy, Herefordshire, UK), did not even imagine which way his son would go. However, he did not interfere either. As a result, the boy, whose full name sounded like Henry Frederick Stanley Morgan (Harry Frederick Stanley Morgan, he was also known as HFS Morgan) received an excellent technical education. In the process of training, he became interested in cars and, upon returning home, he assembled a small motorized carriage with three wheels. He did not even think about any commercial enterprise, however, a lot of the most flattering reviews about this unit led him to the idea of \u200b\u200bstarting to assemble such small cars for sale. So in 1910, the Morgan company was born, which was engaged in passenger three-wheeled cars. And apparently, choosing a winged cross as a logo, Morgan decided to remember that he was still the son of a priest.
|Morgan's first car|
Two-seater three-wheeled cars in those years were in good demand in the UK - they cost significantly less, they could be driven with a motorcycle driving license, and they were subject to a "motorcycle" tax. Well, to all this, Morgan breathed a sporty spirit into his creations. It was the victories in the races that provided the cars Morgan excellent advertising. The company was engaged in three-wheeled cars until 1952, when the demand for them disappeared completely. However, in 2010 the company "reanimated" them by presenting a three-wheeled model, created specifically for lovers of exotic antiquity.
The first four-wheeled Morgan car appeared in 1936 - it was a 4-4 model (four wheels and four cylinders are “encrypted” in the number).
In the middle of the last century, the most dramatic changes in design took place - the radiator grill was no longer flat, but rounded, becoming more aerodynamic, and the headlights were hidden in the fenders. The reason for this is simple - Morgan did not produce components for their cars and had to customize the design for those components that could be found on the market. Subsequently, the updated radiator grille became a kind of symbol of cars. Morgan. Here it should be noted that in the middle of the 60s, a model appeared with a design that could, with a certain stretch, be called “modern”. But its failure in the market led to the "conservation" of the company - only loyalty to the old days. And for a long time it concerned not only the appearance, but also technology - for example, elementary airbags appeared on Morgan cars only a little over a decade ago.
However, modern Morgan issued on a different basis. These are high-tech models with elements of antiquity. Yes, they still have wooden cases combined with cutting-edge aluminum alloys.
|Morgan Eva GT|
However, the appearance of the Morgan Eva GT model showed that the company has outlined a new path for itself, which can be characterized as a transition from classics to futurism. This car can be safely described as one of the most modern from a technical point of view. About what's really in front of us Morgan only resembles a recognizable radiator grille. As for the sale of products, there are changes here too - the company plans to reduce the volume of deliveries (from several thousand to several hundred per year), while raising the magnificence and, as a result, the cost of its products. A special calculation is made on the legendary brand. A good example of how a cheap car manufacturer turned into a "not for everyone" car maker.
Morgan Motor Company still remains a family company. Its office and production facilities (very small, by the way) are located in the town of Malvern, in the county of Worcestershire (Malvern, Worcestershire), where the company moved after the end of the First World War.